Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What's Up With Westminster?

                                           (This year's champion Malachy the Pekingnese)

Every year I look forward to the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. It is a tradition in our family. My mother and I have watched this prestigious competition ever since I can remember. And if we can't watch it together, we text each other the entire time. I love watching all of the dog breeds in their most perfect form. The Westminster has taught me so much about dogs and I really enjoy learning about the newest breeds. I have to admit that I almost did not watch the show this year. Here's why:

Remember all of those bittersweet Pedigree dog food commercial that focused on shelter pets? Well the Westminster Kennel club decided that the ads would influence too many people to adopt their next pet instead of buy them from a breeder. They also said the ads were too sad for the viewers. Well guess what? Being in a shelter is sad! Westminster cut Pedigree as their sponsor and added Purina. The Purina commercials are sweet but they all feature purebred dogs.

                                                   (Pedigree shelter dog commercial)

The Westminster Kennel Club is all about breed standards and that is how the upscale community makes their money. I don't think there is anything wrong with responsible breeding or buying from a reputable breeder. I understand why people want a purebred pet. There are certain characteristics that are desirable in a variety of breeds. I do, however, have a problem with backyard breeders and pet stores (puppy mills).

The Westminster Dog Show is a huge platform and I feel that it is a shame that they have stopped spotlighting rescue pets. A dog is a dog, no matter the blood line. A pet that you adopt can offer just as much love as a pet that you pay thousands for.

I hope that next year, the Westminster will listen to the public and shine a light on all of the shelter pets that need homes. As for me, I will continue to watch it with my mother and my very own champion- my purebred shelter mutt Lily!

And remember, there are many breed specific rescues and purebred pets in shelters everywhere!

Here is the trailer from the movie Best In Show. Enjoy!

1 comment: